© 2011-2016 Willard Sorority. All rights reserved.
Nebraska Wesleyan University
The History of Willard Sorority
In the fall of 1889, in the first year of the life of Nebraska Wesleyan University, seven young women of similar ideals founded the first society of women on the Wesleyan campus. They were: Pauline Winter, Elsie Bromwell, Julia Taskett, Myrta Applebee, Grace Becker, Grace au Miller, and Blanche Martin. They chose for the name of their society, WILLARD, in memory of Frances E. Willard, who was a symbol of PERFECT WOMANHOOD. Willard was the only society for women alone. They were socially affiliated with the EVERETTS, now ZETA PSI, but they were two separate organizations... Willard for the women and Everett for the men.
In the beginning, the Willards did not maintain a house, but they were given the use of the northwest room on the third floor of the Main Building (now Old Main) and were organized as a literary society. Here, for several years, they held their meetings and social gatherings. In 1917, the Willards established their house; in 1929, they bought their first house. Ground breaking ceremonies on the current property were December 5, 1961, and our present home at 5110 Madison Avenue was completed on May 13, 1962.
Willard means many things to many women, but it first means a house whose halls and rooms have rung with laughter and shared many secrets, and whose doors have shut out the rest of the world while problems were met and solved. Willard is the OLDEST and LARGEST local sorority in the United States. Willard is a top sorority that has kept its members united for 120 years.
Donate to Willard Sorority